Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Kayaking the St. Mary's River

Yesterday my mom and I loaded her two kayaks into the back of her truck, and drove down to the GA/FL border to kayak along the St. Mary's River. Logistically it was a tad complicated, as we had to leave my car at the take-out at Scott's Landing in Boulogne, FL, then head back north with the truck and kayaks to the Traders Hill Boat Ramp just south of Folkston, GA. The trip from Traders Hill to Scott's Landing is 5.25 miles, which we covered in a leisurely 2.5 hours. We stopped to swim at a lovely sandbar, and hopped out to picnic at a private boat ramp just west of US-1. The day was gorgeous, if rather too hot. I didn't take my DSLR (having just had it re-built after getting it water-logged), but I did bring my point-n-shoot, so you can see where we went.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Yes, the hat is ridiculous, but in this sunlight, it was wonderful.

Photobucket
My kayak at the Traders Hill boat ramp

Photobucket
View from the Traders Hill boat ramp

Photobucket

Photobucket
There's my mom!

Photobucket

Photobucket
We stopped at an excellent sandbar to swim.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Railroad bridge

Photobucket
Approaching US-1

Photobucket
My mom at the takeout point at Scott's Landing

No comments: