Sunday, July 31, 2011

Seoul Pet Cafés: Cats Living

I've known for some time that Seoul is home to multiple cat and dog cafés, and I'm *very* pleased to report that quite a few of them are located right here in Hongdae. I woke up this morning and it wasn't raining, so I decided to go to one of the ones that I'd spotted yesterday. What better way to deal with my Charlie withdrawal, right?

The one I visited is called Cats Living (
http://catsliving.co.kr/). They seem to have about twenty cats - all fat, healthy, purebreds - all hanging out in a couple of large rooms. Before you can enter, you must exchange your shoes for slippers, and 'wash' your hands with sanitizer. The fee is ₩8000 (a little less than $8), with which you get a free drink of your choice (they offered a variety of coffee, tea, and juice) and a couple hours to play with the kitties. It was definitely a great way to deal with missing Charlie; I played with all the cats, and took a ton of photos.

Unfortunately, the place did have a very strong cat-pee smell. I've worked at animal shelters (and my mom owns roughly 50 cats...) so I'm certainly accustomed to it - although I'm not sure how appealing this would be to most people. As yet, I have no way of knowing if smell is a problem at all cat cafés, as this is the only one I've ever visited; when I test out some others, I'll let you know. Of course, when you have twenty or so cats living in a fairly small, enclosed environment, you're going to have an odor, no matter how clean the facility (and it was very clean). Anyhow, here are some cute cat photos:

Photobucket
The cat café is on the second floor. I've no idea what 'FUCKFAKE' on the third floor is!

Photobucket
Cat café rules :-)

Photobucket

Photobucket
This one curled up in my lap and just purred away...

Photobucket

Photobucket
Recently spayed :-)

Photobucket

Photobucket
There were two 'munchkin' cats among the group - I'd never actually seen one in real life before.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
There was also a Sphynx - not the first time I'd ever seen one in real life, but definitely the first time I'd ever petted one.

Photobucket
This one looks like one of mine back in the US!

*I would just like to point out how hard it was not to entitle this post "Paying for Pussy" - I absolutely adore alliteration, and that is an accurate description of what I did!

**Also: I just received this update from Seth regarding Charlie: Charlie will finally sit in the window with me in the room! She still hides if I make a sudden movement though. That took 3 cans of catfood and a catnip toy in the middle of the floor!! makin progress : )

No comments: