Woohoo! After all the hurry-up-and-wait nonsense that's been going on for more than two months now, I finally have a job offer. I will soon be leaving sedate East Daegu and the ESL field in order to work as an English language technical writer for a software company located in the Wall Street of Seoul. It's going to be a big change.
Then there's all the stuff-n-nonsense that will be going on between now and my start date in early September:
1. Rent an apartment in Seoul. That will surely be a fiscally painful experience. And by apartment, what I really mean is 'officetel' (and here I'd thought my old apartment in Southern California had been tiny and overpriced).
2. Spend three weeks in Ukraine. Obviously. Because that's what one does.
3. Fly to the US in order to get my visa (because despite there being a perfectly good Korean Consulate in Kiev, I must present myself in person at a consulate in the country of my citizenship in order to apply for my fancy-shmancy visa). On the plus side, I'll get to pick up all of my business clothes from my business-y days in SoCal, and will thus avoid having to outfit myself in frilly Korean businesswoman clothes. And I'll be able to do all my yearly checkups (joy). I'll only be in the US 2-3 weeks, and I expect I'll be running around like a jet-lagged headless chicken.
4. Fly back to Korea. Hooray for global circumnavigation. Put me in a category with Ferdinand Magellan and Francis Drake.
5. Find a cat-sitter for Charlie, as dragging a cat on said circumnavigation would be nigh inhumane. But wait! I can check this one off my list as I've found one already! Come to find out, my replacement at my current school is a cat-lover, and he has kindly agreed to watch Charlie while I'm gone :-) Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure he won't be living where I live now, so she will have to move, which will be stressful for her - although nothing like traveling Korea-Ukraine-USA-Korea in the belly of a plane would be.
So much to do and so little time! (Also, for those of you who know me well, I would just like to point out that this is my 43rd post on this new blog of mine!)