Saturday, July 30, 2011

I think I'm going to like it here.

Last weekend, I spent all my time buying new things for the apartment. I have since had a bit of a panic attack - what if it doesn't work out? What if I don't get my visa? What if something unforseen happens? People keep telling me I'm being silly (no job harm! no monetary harm!), but nonetheless, I decided not to buy anything more for my new place until I get back in September. Of course, as most of my money is now either in euros or sitting in my US bank account (you know, because dollars and euros are so safe these days... sigh) I wouldn't have been able to buy much anyway.

This afternoon I met up with a Korean friend of mine. She lived in Daegu the last time I lived in Korea, but has since moved to Seoul. I hadn't seen her at all during this stint in Korea, because up until this madness with my alleged new job began, I hadn't taken any trips to Seoul. It turns out that she lives in the same area of Seoul that I do (although she lives on the other side of Hongdae from me), and she offered to show me around. We walked all over what many people seem to refer to as "the main Hongdae area" - the spot right outside the main gate to Hongik University, which is filled with cafes, coffee shops, bakeries, boutiques, bars, and clubs. I didn't take too many pictures (we were too busy talking) although I definitely will in the future. Apparently there are a few streets which essentially turn into Seoul's equivalent of Bourbon Street at night (not exactly my scene), but nonetheless, in the day time it seems like it's going to be a great place to have so close to my home.

Photobucket
Me, enjoying a Korean club sandwich :-)

Photobucket
My friend, hiding behind her fan...

Photobucket
Okay, so I may have bought a hot-pink cat ring...

Photobucket
and some somewhat overpriced - but super-awesome - vintage orange earrings...

1 comment:

G said...

The munchkin looks like a kitty corgi. So cute!