Saturday, September 10, 2011

Introducing the American Interlude Series

Today is September 11th. Yet again I'm here in South Korea, just as I was this day ten years ago. I'm not going to write about my 9/11 experience. Instead, I'm going to link something much more meaningful: a blog post written by someone who was just a stone's throw away from the World Trade Center on that fateful morning. CLICK HERE and read it.

In addition to being the tenth anniversary of 9/11, today is also the second day of a four-day weekend here in South Korea. The four-day weekend is to celebrate Chuseok (추석), a holiday often explained to Westerners as "Korean Thanksgiving." Traditionally a fall harvest festival, Chuseok is now a time when families get together to celebrate family and to show respect to their ancestors. For Westerners in Korea (other than those with Korean relatives or spouses), it's generally a time to travel the country, and enjoy some of our precious little time off from work.

Unfortunately, I've been back in South Korea exactly one week. I'm rather low on cash, and even lower on travel-willpower (having spent the previous six weeks living out of a suitcase). I'd thought I might spend the holiday weekend exploring Seoul, looking for things to photograph, but the weather is alternating between cloudy and rainy - not the best for photography. As such, I've decided that now is as good a time as any to start working on some blog posts about my brief time in the US (from August 21st through September 2nd). I've got two up on my other blog - here and here - and four more will be appearing shortly on this blog. Stay tuned!

No comments: