Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A memorial to Koala and Songi

It's been a rough couple of days.

You know my friend G lives in Daegu - she and her family are the people I spent Christmas weekend with. I've known G since I was 8. We're from the same hometown. We grew up together. I first met her Yorkie, Songi, back in 2004 when I was in Korea with the US government. I've played with Songi countless times over the years, and I've pet-sat quite a few times, too. I didn't see much of Songi this past weekend, as she wasn't feeling well. I learned from G Sunday night after I'd returned to Seoul that it had turned into something serious. I awoke Monday morning to an email that Songi had died in the night. 


Photobucket
Songi, 2007

Photobucket
Songi 2010


I cried. I hugged Charlie. I sent an email to my mom, telling her about Songi, and saying that I was glad to have the day off from work, so I could spend it in bed snuggling with Charlie, but oh, how it made me miss Koala. 

Koala was my baby. You know I'm a cat lady. I've never had anything against dogs - in fact, I like most dogs. It's just that I'm a cat person. Except for when I first met Koala and fell totally in love. I'd have brought her with me to Korea, except that she was so happy spending all day with her 8 canine friends, and would've been miserable in a tiny Korean apartment. I've missed her terribly.

I awoke this morning to a response from my mom. Koala had died. The timing could not have been more surreal.

Koala had a rough start to life. She was born in December 2008, and came into my life in January 2009. She was almost dead. A dog had attacked her, had bitten her in the head and neck. She'd been dumped in a parking lot. When she was first spotted, she was walking in circles. Then she collapsed. She was weak, dehydrated, couldn't stand or eat or drink. She had a few seizures. I stayed up with her all night, giving her water and chicken broth via syringe. And she lived.


Photobucket
Koala when I first saw her.

Photobucket
Cleaned up and feeling better, but resting


Due to some issues I won't get into here, she wasn't vaccinated right away. She came down with parvo. An enormous vet bill (and some fantastic work by my local vet that was worth every penny) later, she had fully recovered.


Photobucket
Koala at the vet's, being treated for parvo.

Photobucket
Bringing her home from the vet


Koala was never the smartest dog. She was absurdly funny looking. She often ran in circles. Periodically she would have seizures, but never seemed to feel any ill effects afterwards. But that's the only thing that could explain her sudden death, on her porch, untouched by the other dogs.


Photobucket
Koala, summer 2009

Koala and her two puppy friends, Marlee and Piglet could not fetch worth a damn. But soooo cute. Piglet (the tiniest one in the video) grew into a behemoth - and we were able to find her a home. Mom still has Marlee.

Photobucket
Perfect portrait :-)

Photobucket
Koala, July 2010, shortly before I moved back to Korea

Photobucket
Koala playing with her new friend, Wolfie, summer 2011

Photobucket
My last picture of Koala, taken when I was home late this summer.

I'll miss her.

6 comments:

G said...

Our poor babies :-( When I picked S up this evening, his nanny told him to hurry home because Songi was waiting. I totally lost it in front of her. Sigh.

Annie Nimity said...

I definitely understand. When HMP discovered my post about Koala on facebook shortly after lunch and started asking me questions (how old was she? was she sick? etc.) I was totally reduced into a blubbering mess.

And god, the timing is freaky.

G said...

It really is. Koala was so young. It's amazing you nursed her back to health as a puppy, but she should have had many more happy years ahead of her. It started off well, but this turned out to be the worst Christmas ever.

Diana said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of both animals. I hadn't met Koala, but I remember her from your posts. And Songi--just such an awesome little guy. I'm saddened by his loss and can't imagine how S is handling it... Love to you both.

Brooke said...

So sorry to hear about both puppies. I've enjoyed reading about both of them on the blog over the years.

I lost my beloved kitty over the weekend under equally unexpected conditions. The guy who was caring for him came back from a weekend trip to find him lying dead on his blanket. I'm heartbroken. He was only four. And he was such a good friend. :(

Annie Nimity said...

Oh, god Brooke - how is this even possible? Such horrible and sad timing :-(