Sunday, May 29, 2011

a little bummed

I had been invited to spend the weekend in Busan with some friends... but after checking the forecast (overcast and dreary on Saturday, heavy thunderstorms on Sunday), I opted to stay in Daegu. And then it turned out that weather.com had been rather wrong. Saturday started out overcast and dreary, but became fairly decent as the day progressed. And Sunday was simply beautiful. Facebook messages from my friends in Busan tell me that the weather there is gorgeous and that they're having a great time. Sigh.

Meanwhile, I spent my Sunday sweeping, mopping, washing dishes, and doing several loads of laundry. Saturday was at least slightly more eventful. Slightly. I woke up early - still considering popping down to Busan - and took a peep outside. It was cloudy and overcast just as predicted; I crawled back into bed and slept 'til early afternoon. By that point it was not so much cloudy as hazy, and the sun was making somewhat of an attempt to bust through the haze. I decided to take a walk to one of my favorite restaurants. Haze might affect my photos, but it doesn't affect my ability to eat.

Photobucket

This is zhiazhiangmyun, a Korean Chinese dish. (It's 'Korean Chinese' in the same way that General Tso's Chicken is 'American Chinese.') Zhiazhiangmyun never photographs well. The sauce is black bean based, containing onions and meat - and if you have it at a proper Korean Chinese restaurant, the noodles are hand-made. (At my restaurant of choice, one can watch the cooks making the noodles.) I go to this place fairly often, and the staff know as soon as I walk in what it is that I'm there to eat.

After leaving the restaurant, I thought the haze looked as though it had lifted somewhat, and I decided to take a walk along the Gemho River. The Chinese restaurant is located next to the Banyawol Subway Station. I live a short walk from the next station on the line, Singi. I decided to walk the distance between Banyawol and Singi along the Geumhogang (Geumho River), which - out in East Daegu, at any rate - is located just to the south of the road the subway line follows.

Photobucket

It wasn't a bad walk, although my pictures would've been better had they had blue sky in the background instead of grey haze. At least there were plenty of wildflowers for me to photograph.

Photobucket
Gah! Haze!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: