Saturday, January 28, 2012

pets, pets, vets... and school!!

My life continues revolving mostly around my pets. I'm not going to write about the airline pet-transport nightmare until it all get resolved - but suffice it to say that I have been feeling frustrated to no end, and have broken down into tears over it several times. Also, Delta is incompetent. The wonderful Maya from http://www.petairline.co.kr has been helping me, and I truly hope that we will get everything straightened out by early next week.

Mochi is still a little under the weather. Despite the fact that I have a vet just around the corner from my house, I loaded the little fella into a taxi and rode over to Itaewon to take advantage of the English speaking vets at the  Chung Wha Animal Hospital. They, too, were wonderful. It was very reassuring to be able to explain his symptoms in detail, and to receive explanations from the vet in detail. (The vet by my house is friendly and conveniently located, but he speaks less English than I speak Korean.) Courtesy of the Chung Wha Animal Hospital, Mochi now has a dog-sized transport crate, antibiotics, and deer antler extract to boost his immune system. (Anyone who thought my honey-citron was strange... take that!) Also, Chung Wha is open Monday through Saturday, and they're open until 8pm, meaning I was able to go after work. Woohoo!

The following photos were all taken with my cell-phone, so they're not the best, but they'll do :-)

Photobucket
Mochi and his new travel crate. I've got the door off so he can get used to it.

Photobucket
Of course, Charlie's the only one who goes into the crate.

Photobucket
Mochi and Charlie

Photobucket
Trying to get a picture of myself and the two critters.

Photobucket
Mochi posing.

Photobucket
Charlie looking superior

And... I have superawesomefantastic news!! When I applied to grad schools (time to get my Master's in TESOL), I applied to schools that had good programs, were in places I'd be willing to live, and for which I could fulfill all application requirements from overseas. I would have been willing to go to any of them, although if forced to choose, I would've preferred the two located in the southeastern US, as they're located close to home. Still, I figured I would go to whichever school offered me the most funding. This morning I awoke to the news that the school located closest to home has not only accepted me, but is offering me full tuition, health insurance, an assistantship, and a kickass stipend!!! This is such a relief, and such a weight lifted off my chest. (Now the dog needs to fully recover and Delta needs to get their act together - then life will be perfect.) Six more weeks until my 5 month vacation begins, then grad school in the fall :-)

1 comment:

John from Daejeon said...

Wow! Congrats!

You must have written one hell of an application letter and had some awesome references.

So, how many miles will your weekly weekend animal caretaking round-trip be?