Wednesday, June 15, 2011

job update

As I wrote a month ago, my job situation for September is somewhat up in the air at the moment. I have an interview in two weeks at a large international company located in the most prestigious part of Seoul. At this point, we've negotiated a starting salary (more than I'd expected when I wrote about this last month), airfare, visa logistics, and a good deal more. Essentially, they've done everything but offer me the job. I'm hoping that they will actually do that (or at least let me know one way or the other) on the day of the interview.

I've been feeling incredibly guilty about the fact that I haven't let the school in Ukraine know that I might not be coming... but I don't want to count my Seoul chickens before they hatch for fear of ending up with neither job come September.

I'm trying not to get too excited about the potential job in Seoul, as I don't want to risk getting let down... but still! When I wrote about the potential job before, I wasn't sure if it was something I wanted to do. Now, while I'm not 100% certain (can one ever be?), I'm definitely 95% sure that it's something I want to try. For one thing it would be something different. I've been one of the 30,000+ Americans here with the US Department of Defense (in 2004, as a civilian). I've been one of the 30,000+ native English speakers here teaching English. It would be nice to be among the smaller group of others for once. Additionally, living and working in the heart of Seoul would be a vastly different experience from living and working in staid east Daegu!

Then there's the fact that
I mentioned the other day: I'm (finally) starting to feel like an adult. It's a little scary to realize that I'm in my 30s and have less than $800 in my retirement account.

So. Two weeks. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: