Saturday, June 25, 2011

I am not a cook.

I probably shouldn't paraphrase Richard Nixon, as he really was a crook, whereas I most definitely am not a cook. I have perfected spaghetti-from-a-jar and Korean instant curry atop Korean instant rice, and am pretty much content to let my cooking skills remain at this level. Luckily for me, I have friends who are far more into cooking! Coworker J had expressed an interest in learning how to cook Korean food, so G invited us over for an introductory lesson featuring seaweed soup and stuffed tofu.

Seaweed soup (미역국 - unfortunately transliterated as mi-yuck gook, which to the uninitiated sounds rather gross. I promise it's not.) is easy to make (even I could make it, were I suitably motivated), delicious, and healthy. It's a traditional food for pregnant and post-partum women here in Korea, although it's certainly not restricted to them by any means.

Photobucket
Seaweed (미역) is usually sold dehydrated. It doesn't take much to make a lot of soup.

Photobucket
Re-hydrate your seaweed in water... and soak your beef in water as well to remove the blood.

Photobucket
Once your seaweed has rehydrated, wring it out.

Photobucket
Mildly 'stir-fry' your seaweed in some kind of sesame seed oil, just long enough to get all of the seaweed covered in said oil. (Yes, I realize "some kind of sesame seed oil" is vague, but remember, I am not a cook.)

Photobucket
Drain your beef and add it to the seaweed.

Photobucket
Add water and soy sauce.

Photobucket
Add seasoning. Er... Korean bullion equivalent?

At this point, you just boil the soup for a few minutes, and then your soup is finished! Meanwhile, my stuffed tofu section of this post is even more vague.

Photobucket
After browning your tofu on both sides...

Photobucket
...cut a slit in the center of each square. Stuff with stir-fried meat-n-onions mixed with kimchi.

Photobucket
The final product.

Photobucket
Seaweed soup and stuffed tofu... delicious!! :-)

1 comment:

JIW said...

Featured in a recent post on..
http://expatabundance.blogspot.com/