Sunday, September 11, 2011

American Interlude Part 2: The Dogs

My mother only has nine dogs. Most people would never say someone only has nine dogs, but compared to thirty-two cats, nine is a fairly small and reasonable number. Sadly, while I thought I had photographed all of my mom's animals (except for one feral cat, and one cat that was so terrified of me that he split whenever he saw me), I somehow only photographed eight of my mom's nine dogs. Oddly enough, the one I didn't photograph (Marlee) is underfoot most of the time, so god knows how I neglected to take any pictures of her. Ahh well. Anyway, here are the other eight:

Photobucket
This is Koala, my idiot child.

I would love to have Koala with me in Korea, but there's no way she'd be happy in a tiny studio in Seoul when she has a yard in the US to race around in, and eight other dogs to play with. She was found as a puppy back in 2009, about six weeks old, and near death. She was starving, had been bitten in the head by a larger dog, and she had been dumped in a parking lot. I nursed her back to health, only to have her almost die of parvo. Luckily, the vet was able to save her. She's not the brightest of dogs (although she knows the sit command quite well!) but she's definitely happy.

Photobucket
Blix is probably my mom's oldest dog. He showed up back in 2003... and the vet thought he was probably about seven years old at the time.

Photobucket
This is Brin, a six year old super-snuggly pit bull who thinks he's a lap dog.

Photobucket
This is Bitsy, a feist and/or Jack Russell

Photobucket
Kali showed up on my front porch a few days before I moved to Korea last year. She was skin and bones, terrified of everyone, and covered in mange. My mom took her in... and look at her now!

Photobucket
This is Lady. She's a really old girl who turned up out at my mom's land just a few weeks ago - all skin and bones and riddled with heartworms. This is what she looked like when my mom first found her. She has since gained eight pounds, been spayed, and is being treated for heartworms.

Photobucket
Little Guy is the only one of the nine dogs likely to bite anyone.

Photobucket
This is Wolfie. He is nearly impossible to photograph, as he will not hold still. He is constantly in motion. Game of Thrones fans, don't you think he looks like a direwolf? Anyway, probably the best way to see what Wolfie is really like is to watch this video I shot of him playing with Bitsy:

No comments: